Wednesday 9 March 2011

Day 62

How to Açaí
This is the first, and probably last, post in my new how to series. I hope you enjoy. It's very chaotic as I only decided half way through to make it into a how to guide*.




Introducing BJJs must have fruity friend..... The Açaí berry. Now we've all heard the stories, no wait the LEGENDS about this fruit. It's a power food, so it's benefits include but are not limited to; higher energy levels, healthier body, rapid muscle regeneration, improved hand eye coordination, boosted mat performance, quicker uptake of jiu-jitsu moves learnt during IBJJF approved curriculum lessons, guarenteed longevity in life, love and jiu-jitsu... just you're standard super-food guarantees, oh and it has antioxidants. Well, finally, after hearing about this fruit for over two years, I've managed to get my hands on some. Let me tell you the legend does not, in any way compare to the reality. Well at least not the European reality. I was expecting an over ripe succulent berry, with vibrant violet colouring, and a skin so shiney I could see myself standing on the podium as the light glinted off it's surface. What I got was this..



Pulp. Thats right, mush the colour of human faeces. Looking forward to it.

So I'll just explain how I came about my açaí, ahem, berries. I have never really WON anything at competitions. A couple of medals, but never any stash or supplements or cash, now we can all pretend that we compete for the joy of the sport and to improve ourself, but I'm not self deluded, I'm shallow. I do it for the gi that I could win if I manage to beat a 110kg wrecking machine in the absolute, well that and the cool tournament t-shirts (essential for any tournament). Although close behind prizes of monetary value is the honour and the glory! With this attitude I'm surprised I have not won more tournaments, but there you go. This past weekend I didn't technically 'win' anything, but I was given 3kg of frozen açaí berries (pulp) by the organiser because I only had one working arm. Result, pity prize.
So I immediately got on line and ordered a €25 blender so that I can eat my 3kg of frozen pulp over the next 3 weeks before returning to England. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

The blender is now here...


The Açaí pulp is defrosting, I went to aldi (just kidding it was a lidl, it's cheaper) and bought some bananas and yoghurt. I'm not going for a recipie on this, I'm just freestyling. I'll let you know the benefits after a couple of weeks, but I expect to be able to submitting brown belts with my eyes closed.

However, although that seemed like a good point to end this post, I actually have a lot of free time on my hands, so I filmed the making of my very first Açaí Shake. The filming is the best you are ever going to see from me so don't complain. Here is the recipe:

2 x Banana
1 x Açaí pulp bag
4 x tablespoon plain joghurt
A healthy amount of milk

And now the video




The final product


It tasted... like banana milkshake. Could have been a lot worse. Although word of warning, keep the blender going for a long time, I've got chunks of banana in my brown banana-Açaí milkshake that make me gag a little bit as I chew them.

* I don't even know how to tie my own shoe laces without the bunny rabbit ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment